The East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office announced on Tuesday that a 13-year-old boy from Capital Middle School has been booked with two counts of attempted murder after he reportedly fired a gun at a vehicle leaving what is thought to have been a drug deal at a local grocery store. The shots, fired outside Albertson’s Grocery on the evening of August 20, did not hurt anybody.
According to officers, the boy had taken a gun from another 13-year-old student who had taken his father’s handgun to school. The father was reportedly unaware the gun had been taken at the time, but discovered it was missing on Monday this week. Along with attempted murder, the boy has been charged with possession of marijuana and possession of a firearm with a controlled dangerous substance.
Police investigation reveals that the boy had been trying to purchase marijuana from two individuals at the store when he stole the drugs and fired the gun at the sellers as they drove away in their vehicle.
Sources said the boy who had stole his father’s handgun admitted to taking the gun when his father asked him about it. He also admitted that he knew that the gun had been fired after it was stolen. That boy now faces charges of theft of a firearm, carrying a firearm by a student on school property, illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile and accessory after the fact to attempted second-degree murder.
Sources said the boy who discharged the gun is currently being held at a juvenile detention center.
Sources: chron.com, “Seventh-grader booked with attempted murder,” Sep 27, 2011.