If you have been charged with any manner of sexual misconduct or offense, then you should know the impact this will undoubtedly have on the rest of your life. It can be salvation to see the charge not stick and avoid conviction. That is why a strong defense is absolutely crucial. If you cannot see the charges dropped, there may be a chance to see the charges reduced or at very least, the penalties tapered down upon a conviction.
You are probably aware that convicted sex offenders are required to register on a list made available to the public. Conditions of that requirement are more weighted for more severe offenses. There are three tiers of sexual offenses, with tier 1 being the least severe and tier 3 being the worst.
Tier 1 offenses require an offender to be listed for 15 years and information will be gathered annually. These offenses include:
- Prohibited occupation or employment of minors under the age of 16.
- Voyeurism, including filmed voyeurism.
- Solicitation of a minor including obscenity.
- Enabling a juvenile’s delinquency.
- Solicitation of a child under 18 years of age equating to a crime against nature.
- Crime against nature.
- Inappropriate sexual relationship between a student and his or her teacher.
- Felony carnal knowledge.
- Behavior with juveniles that is deemed inappropriate.
- Using a weapon to falsely imprison a juvenile under 18 years old.
- Imprisoning a person who is not your offspring and who is under 18 years of age.
- Interfering with the custody of a child who is not your own and who is under the age of 18.
- Sexual battery.
- Exposing a person to AIDS intentionally.
- Stalking someone who is not your offspring and who is under the age of 18,
- Simple rape.
While 15 years on a list of registered sex offenders may seem insurmountable, consequences can be much steeper and span a lifetime.
If you want to know the details of what you face should you be convicted and how you may possibly reduce or eliminate certain punishments, a Louisiana criminal defense attorney may be able to assist you.